The West Common
Our wonderful West Common is a space to be enjoyed by all – walkers, dog walkers, picnickers, horse owners and riders, children, bird watchers…the list is almost endless. It is the green lungs of the West End.
In particular did you know that there is
- a cricket pitch. See facebook page for Carholme Cricket Club
- tennis courts. Courts are free to use. Please see West End Commoners Meet-up facebook page to connect with informal group to organise ad-hoc tennis sessions.
- a bowling green
- a golf course. Carholme Golf Club.
- horse riding.
- a wish tree. At the back of the cricket pitch there is a magical place, a hidden gem.
- a towpath along the Fossdyke Navigation Canal. You can walk or cycle along the Fossdyke Canal Trail which runs alongside the canal from Lincoln to Saxilby – around 6 miles. On the trail visit the Pyewipe Inn, Burton Waters, and move onto National Cycle Route 64 to Torksey Locks.
A small, green, hidden gem on Yarborough Road:
Liquorice Park is a precious untouched natural habitat between Yarborough Road and Carline Road. It is maintained by volunteers for all the local community.
- On the wall of the Co-op Store the Winning Post, on Carholme Rd, LN1 1RU.
- On the wall of St Faith’s Parish Hall, on West Parade, LN1 1QL.
The Church Hall
St Faith’s Church Hall, on West Parade, is the focus for many community activities. It is used by many local groups as well as for Community Pop-up cafes, polling station, WERA meetings. It can be hired privately for meetings, classes parties etc.
The Grandstand Community Centre
Our community centre on Carholme Road can be hired by local groups/individuals.